Heeeello.
I was thinking I'd start this post off with a couple of regrets I've formed in the past few days. Alrighty.
1. First regret would have to be (seeing as these aren't numbered in order of importance) watching King Kong last night. Made me cry. Darnit all. Hehehe.
2. Second regret... forgetting to set my alarm until it was almost midnight on Thursday. I got up and, since I was half asleep, bashed my head on the corner of my desk... let's just say that it's noticeable, two days later. At the moment I have a sticker on my head so people can't see the bruise. :P
3. Third, telling Alex that I was okay with her calling me Sammity-Sam. Word has spread. Apparently it's a catchy name, because there's at least ten people calling me that now. I can't really say I'm fond of the name.
4. Punctuating Ellie's Romeo and Juliet script for her. It's not really a regret, but she still can't spell Shakespeare.
"you are truley blessed not only being the greatest friend in the world but with such great grammatical and shakeaspearin logic god send"
Oh well. :]
5. Not wagging Science on Thursday. We had a fourteen-page exam. Need I say more?
6. Again, now, this is not so much a regret, but it was at the time. For about the fourth day in a row, I had my email page up, with an email to the editor, and I'd attached my book. For the previous three days, I'd clicked out of it before sending the email. On Thursday afternoon, though, I pressed send. Regretted it for a while, but... I'm pretty happy, now. I guess now I just have to wait.
7. Seventh regret was explaining to May, when she informed me that her favourite hobby was 'beaching', that I was pretty sure that's the word used when whales wash up on shore and can't get back into the ocean. It's a regret because her telling that to a few more people would've been slightly amusing. I know that's kinda horrible to say, but yeah... xD
8. Being a dog person. This random lost golden retriever came up to me while I was waiting for the bus, lay down in front of me and put its head in my lap. About eight people stared at me, haha, it was.... awkward. But the dog was cute.
Okay, that's all my regrets, I think.
And, I wrote a story last night, I'll post it here in case this wasn't long enough to read. You guys don't have to read it.
***
They’d known that the cyclone had been coming for months. They’d been prepared. They’d bought supplies.
It wasn’t enough. Something wasn’t right; the cyclone wasn’t relenting—its power was still as strong as ever, after two solid months. The hazardous weather was not ebbing away, as should have happened; there was no break in the rain, in the rapid gusts, in the terrible flooding.
Maiya had become accustomed to sleeping underneath her bed—probably not even a thing most people would do on a spontaneous whim—simply because she had been through the same routine for almost three months.
“Stay away from glass… Don’t go near unstable furniture… The east side of the house is forbidden…” her mother would constantly remind her. So every night, Maiya and her family would crawl through the one unrestricted hallway left in the house, to their bedrooms, and clamber underneath their beds. They would then attempt to make the sodden carpet comfortable enough to lie on. This was a useless effort, as the muddy water that had crept into their home would dry somewhat during the day, and always left the floor with a coarse texture that was impossible to dispel.
Maiya shifted onto her side, and the boards on the underside of her bed brushed her arm. She twisted slightly and moaned in impatience. Even though this had become a usual thing, Maiya was growing intolerant of the continued hassle. She settled her temper and closed her eyes, listening to the constant pounding of rain on her boarded-up windows. There was a sudden crack, and she opened her eyes in worry. Every so often this happened, and she was forever antagonising over whether or not the wood would deteriorate, and leave the glass to shatter against the cyclone’s extreme winds.
It seemed, however, that the windows had managed to endure another beating, and Maiya once again tried to sleep. She stared upwards, at the horizontal planks of wood across the bottom of her mattress. A sudden pain shot through her shoulder, protesting angrily against the way her body was turned, and she looked up longingly at the bed.
Contemplating thoughts started filling her mind—surely, if the windows had lasted over two months, then they weren’t likely to shatter on this particular night. Surely it wouldn’t be a risk to spend one night on her own bed? After all, it had been months!
Maiya listened again. It was hard to hear anything but the pounding of the rain at first, but after a few minutes, her ears became accustomed to the sounds, and she could identify other things. The swaying of the trees outside—the trees that were left, that was. The leak in the roof, dripping. And finally, Maiya heard her family’s deep breathing, assuring her that they were oblivious to what she was about to do.
Cautiously, she crept out from underneath the bed, scraping her elbows on the gritty surface, and dragging her stomach over what, once upon a time, had been a book. It was nothing more than several strips of softened paper now. Maiya pulled her legs out from underneath the bed and rose to her knees, almost slipping. Her eyes drifted around the room, which was almost destroyed beyond recognition by the cyclone. Her carpet, which at one time had been a pure white, was now a murky brown. All of her books and magazines were destroyed, as was every electrical object. Her clothes, which had been resting in a cardboard box, had been soaked through, and a strange smell now wafted from the box—she dared not investigate further. Maiya crawled over to her desk, and, grasping it, raised one knee, and placed her foot on the ground. Checking that it wasn’t about to crumple underneath her, she did so with the other foot. She was now crouching, and holding on to the desk for fear of falling. Eventually, drawing a final breath, Maiya tensed her arms and used them to haul herself upright. Having not stood for many weeks, she swayed slightly, her balance off. Maiya took a few small steps, still gripping the desk with one hand, and, reassured, made her way over to the bed.
That was unbelievably difficult, she thought worriedly, it’s even hard for me to walk, now! I guess I can forget trying to run away from falling trees. Well… one step at a time.
Perching on the side of her bed, she glanced towards the doorway, and then to the windows a second time. She could’ve sworn she’d heard something.
***
Cyaaa. <3
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Gahh, I've no time to read the story at the moment but I shall do so soon..... Sammity-Sam. Hahahahaha, I can't believe I didn't think of that. I love it!
Oh and I also LOVE the sixth regret!!! You knew I would, didnt cha? Yes, you did, yes you did. Hahahaha, gahh, must go. Andy rushing. Nooooo!!!
wow many regrets.
haha i saw that king kong was on and i was like...internet
ohmygosh you bashed your head on your desk?? smrt one! and yea noone will suspect that your hiding something under a sticker on your head.
ooooh big mistake with number 3. sammity sam...hahahaha
lol punctuating someone else stuff, your a good friend.
fourteen page exam?? holy wow!
im so proud of you!! emailing the people yayyyyyyyyy...i am expecting a free copy =]
lol beaching
and awww so cute about the dogg!!!!
loved the story it was AWESOME!
but i wanna know what happens!!
much love
[ugh maths tomorrow!]
xxo
I read it! I really like it, Mrs. Wammy. Her doubts, frustration with the current situation, and just her thought in general, are all very nicely exposed. As always, your word choice is impeccable-- you have a big vocab, dontchu? What made you choose that of all things to write about? Have you ever experienced a cyclone? Is that like a hurricane? That's sorta what it sounded like to me (from personal experience). Anyways, like Fo Shizzle, I also want to know what happens... unless this is one of those "you figure out the ending" thingies that you like to write (I have a hunch it is). Heh, and now I am forced to contradict you when you say that "anything [I] write is far better than anything [you've] ever written" because this was frickin' awesome and I couldn't so much as touch your writing skills. Hehehe, anyways, I'll be looking forward to your next, Sammity.
PF smiles for you
Post a Comment