I've got a bit to tell you all...
Okay, I've talked about my nana and pa on this before, right? They're my mum's parents, I've spent so much time with them all my life and so we're really close (even though somebody can get annoying at times).
Well, especially Pa and I (according to Mum I'm his favourite, hehe!) are close because we have a lot to talk about and (I know this is going to sound corny, but) he's like, my hero, kind of. I don't really call people my "hero" because... it sounds corny, but seriously, he is. He's awesome and funny and nice, and he knows card tricks (lol). He's really smart, and a neek but he's one of those super-fit football-playing nerds, if there is such a thing xD He's a doctor and a lecturer AND an author-- a famous one, at that. Also he knows totally random things, like stuff about sailing and the tide and the names of all the reindeers (lmao). I asked him the other week why rain doesn't gather momentum while it's falling and skewer us all and he actually knew the answer.
Okay, go back... 12 years-- I was four, basically (well, almost four). One day my dad picked me up from preschool or something and said, "Nana Pat died." (She was Pa's mother.) And it totally caught me off-guard, and even though the part where he said that is all I can remember of her death, it's still a really prominent memory for me.
Today when Dad picked me up he goes, "Pa's really sick." ...So I got this huge overwhelming feeling of deja vu-- and, obviously, shock, horror, etc.
My grandparents live in Sydney but they own a house in Montenegro, and they go there sometimes for weeks/months at a time. So they've been there for a while, and suddenly we all get told that Pa's in an ICU overseas and they don't know what's wrong with him, but he's really sick. And at work I had to keep myself from bursting into tears and looking like a moron because one of my favourite people in the world could be dying.
He's getting taken to a hospital in Germany tonight and hopefully they can find out what's wrong with him...
But I've never-- apart from with Nana Pat, and that I couldn't fully understand at the time-- known someone (human) close to me that's died.
And I'm really not sure what to do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
uhhm i dont know what to say
thats horrible
ive only had one person close to me die, my grandpa and the way i reacted was crying alot.
you have my number and im here to talk anytime you need
love you
Oh, Sam...I'm so sorry. He sounds like an amazing person and at least you know, if he does go, then he'll be in a better place, and he's lived such a full life. I know you want him to stay here...but sometimes there's a higher purpose for these things.
Love you Sam, and if you ever need to talk, you know where I am.
xxxxx
I'm really sorry.:[
There isn't really any right thing to do in situations like that, everyone deals with this kind of thing differently... I mean, like when my dog died I cried in front of my sister but when my dad died, the way I coped was by not crying in front of people --only breaking down when I was alone-- and just pretending everything was normal and living on autopilot until I sort of got used to the pain, it seems a little backwards but dealing with pain doesn't exactly make sense... losing, or dealing with the possibility of losing, someone we care about isn't something anyone can be good at or get used to, you just cope whatever way you can.
But seriously, when my dad died the whole not allowing myself to cry in front of people was kind of a mistake I think, because now I pretty much never let people see me cry (when my dog died, that was like the first time in about 10 years)... bottling things up & trying to be strong and deal with it alone isn't healthy, it's alright to cry about it and people in your life (friends, family, people at your work) would understand and be there for you. =/
<3
I'm so sorry. :/
I know what it's like. My grandfather died last year in November. It was horrible and I still can't really believe he's gone, and I wish you didn't have to go through this.
But everyone does, at some point. There's no living without dying..
Your grandpa sounds like a great person &
Nia's right, at least if he does go, he'll be in a better place. I don't know if you believe in God and Heaven and stuff, but at least he won't be sick and in pain anymore.
I hope you're feeling okay.
<3
I'm sorry Sammy :( This happened to me in 2006 - my grandfather got cancer, beat it, then died on New Years Eve.
I didn't cry much when he was almost dying, and I did cry a bit when he died, but not right away. I had know what kind of person my Vovo was, and I'm sure he's in a better place. He would've been in pain had he lived.
:/
loveyousammy. Send me an IM.
sam, i'm so sorry..
i can't imagine what that would be like.. i like you have only known -my great-granparents to have died, and i was only aware for my great nana from my grandads side. the rest died when i was tiny. i can't understand what you must be going through but i'm here to talk if you need me
xxxxx
Post a Comment